Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Math Facts Fluency Program {Online Free 1 Year Trial}

Hey everyone! :)

Sorry I've been a little MIA lately.  I finally was able to get into my classroom on Monday!  It is a new school and a new classroom to me...so you know what that means-lots and LOTS of organizing and de-cluttering! (although that is one of my favorite parts about setting up my classroom is the organizing!)

Anywho, I wanted to share with you an opportunity that was shared with me via email.  A company, Explore Learning, sent me an email about an opportunity for teachers to use their Internet-based Math Facts program  for ONE YEAR for FREE!  They have a grant available now for teachers (you must apply before September 30th of this year).  On their website, it says that the cost of the program for one year is $1,625.  So getting this program for one year free is a pretty good deal!

What is the program?
From everything I've read, the program is a game-based Math Facts Fluency program, called Reflex: Math Fact Fluency, that helps students to be able to practice and recall basic math facts in addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

It also has an awesome-looking feature for teachers with a break-down of each student's data from each time they've been on the website!

And the other cool thing is that it individualizes instruction for each student automatically based upon a "pre-test" taken by the student at the beginning of each session.

My Thoughts
First of all, I want to say that I have never actually used this site.  All information provided above is meant to be a quick snapshot of what the program offers.  If you are in the least bit interested in what this program has to offer, PLEASE check it out for yourself!  I simply wanted to let you-all know of a FREE opportunity that exists.

I am not a math teacher, however, when I did teach Math last year, I had the stinkin hardest time with my students in 4th grade not knowing their basic math facts.  As any of you know who teach upper grade elementary students, this is a HUGE problem when you are trying to build upon the basic math skills!   If I was teaching math today, I would definitely try this program out!  It looks like it would be fun for students, give me some good data on them (knowing where they need the most help in regards to their basic math facts) and it seems like it would be great practice!   Which is what they need.  I mean, it's FREE, people! What have you got to lose? :)

I also saw on the grant page that if you fulfill the grant requirements, they will let you renew your subscription for one year for $99.  Pretty sweet!  Just make sure before you sign up that there is no fine print about requirements that you have to meet that you won't be able to meet.

If you missed the links above for the grant page and the main website, check out the links below:

Explore Learning Teacher's Grant

Reflex: Math Fact Fluency Overview


What about you?  Have you tried this program in your classroom?


+ -  x  /,