Saturday, July 14, 2012

Books, Books and More Books!!

I have to share with you-all my purchase of the day!   My husband and I went to a local small flea market.  We actually just went to look around and not to buy anything.  In fact, I didn't even bring any money with me.

As I was looking through some books at one of the booths, I found one of my most favorite books, Stand Tall Molly Lou Mellon.  It was marked $1.  I asked my husband if he had any money... and he had $2 in cash in his wallet (which he so kindly gave me for books :).  So I found one other book that looked pretty interesting (also marked $1) and I told the lady that I was buying the books for my classroom and asked if she'd take $1 for both.


She said, "Of course...and go ahead and take a few more too."  I was surprised by this because I was just happy she let me have 2 for the price of one!  So I took a few more books (I didn't want her to feel like I was trying to take advantage of her), and then she said, wait a minute- and she dug around in a box underneath a table and pulled out about 15 more books.  She told me that she was just going to donate these since they hadn't sold and that I'd probably know who to give them to if I didn't need them.  Her generosity caught me off guard... it was so awesome and so kind of her!

Then later we stopped by a new thrift store (another of my favorite places to pick up books), and I only had $1 left... books were 50 cents each or 5 for $2.  My husband went to the car and emptied out all the change in our car and we came up with another dollar- so I could get 5 books.  When I was chatting with the owner of the thrift store (while waiting for my husband), I mentioned I was buying books for my classroom- and she said that I could have 10 books for $2 instead of 5.  She also said that anytime I wanted to come back I could have the same deal! (P.S. These titles are great! Check out the greatness below!)



Both of these ladies mentioned that others in the past had donated stuff to them for a good cause and that literacy was very important.  Seriously....anytime you are purchasing something for your classroom, it doesn't hurt to ask if they would take less (because it's for your classroom or your students) or if they can give you any kind of a discount!

In all, I received FORTY-SIX books for only $3!!!!!!!!!!! How stinkin' awesome is that?!?!!?!?  Yeah classroom library! :)  Check out my stash below!


One important note- don't expect everyone to give you a discount.  People can sense when you are being genuine and are asking for a discount or if you feel like you're entitled to one.  I know that we teachers spend  our own money to purchase classroom stuff ALL the time- but keep in mind that these people are trying to make a living by selling you these things.  Don't let that stop you from asking for a discount, just keep in mind not to expect one.  (Also, I try to just slide it casually into the conversation that I am a teacher, purchasing stuff for my classroom...most of the time people give me discounts without me even asking for them!)

Also, I came across this site the other day and while I knew some of these stores gave teachers discounts, I didn't know about all of the discounts!  Check out The Frugal Girls.com to get their list of teacher discounts! (I would also like to add that if you are interested in Adobe products like Photoshop, etc-they give teachers & students MEGA discounts!  And I LOVE Photoshop...I cannot sing its praises enough!)


Hope you have a great day! :)