Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Creating a Grade Book

Howdy everyone!

So today I am going to talk about the dread wonder that are Grade Books!  Yea!! Ok...so I am trying to put a positive spin on something that a lot of us dread... grading.  I am going to share what I did in my classroom, and how I plan to modify that this year in my classroom.

At the end of this post, I will also give you a FREE Binder Cover page and Spine Label for your own Grade Book Binder. Woot!

What I've Used
The school I taught in for 6 years always had an online Grade Book where parents and students could access it 24/7.  I think this is a cool feature because it helps parents to be able to see how their students are performing, if they've missed an assignment, etc.

The only problem with online grade books is- what happens if there is a glitch in the system and all of your grades get lost?  I seriously don't even want to think about that!  All your hard work of grading those assignments, all of the hours you spent putting those grades online, and all of the hours your students spent doing those assignments- just gone.  Completely wiped out.

Now, the reality is, more than likely your online grade book system will always work just fine and nothing will happen to your grades.  However, can you be 100% sure that nothing will happen to your program? Nope.  No one can.

So my solution to this was to print each subject's grades EVERY time after I imported them into the computer.  This may seem a little overkill, but I wanted to make sure that I didn't miss anything!   (For those of you trying to save paper, I totally get it- I am a fan of trees and I try to do as much paperless as I can- however, my grade book is one area that I use more paper than I like to.  But I feel it is important for me to use a little more paper in this area to make sure that my grades are recorded somewhere else.  I probably don't use more paper than a traditional grade book from a teacher store even printing out my grades each week.)

Creating the Grade Book
I am a HUGE fan of 3-ring binders! Everything I have is organized in 3-ring binders.  It keeps everything in order and I can easily find it.

First, print off the Binder Cover and Spine Label from the end of this post.  Put them in your chosen binder.

Next, buy as many Tab Dividers as you have subjects.  Label each tab with a different subject name.

Thirdly, when you print out your grades, hole punch them and put them behind the designated tab for that subject.

Note:  I always put my newest grades on top of the old grades.


So that's it! Pretty easy, eh?  No need to write grades down, then transfer them to the computer.  Just input them, print and put them in your Grade Book Binder.  Sweet, eh?











Tomorrow I will be talking about my Grading Plan for the upcoming year and there will be a FREE Grading Plan template to download!

Live long and prosper,





-------------------------------------

P.S.  Did you know that I started my own company, Camp Partridge?  

⛺️ Camp Partridge offers online camps for children and teens ages 10-16 who want to be digital creators and authors

⛺️ Camp Partridge offers online courses for parents struggling with remote learning

⛺️ Camp Partridge offers resources for your classroom!

I would be honored if you would share Camp Partridge with people you know who need or would enjoy our camps and courses! 🧡